Groves is a city in Jefferson County, Texas, United States. The population was 15,733 at the 2000 census. A July 1, 2010 U.S. Census Bureau estimate placed the population at 16,144. It is part of the Beaumont–Port Arthur Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Groves is located at
29°56′50″N 93°54′57″W / 29.947113°N 93.915829°W / 29.947113; -93.915829 (29.947113, -93.915829). It is situated approximately eleven miles southeast of Beaumont in eastern Jefferson County. The city of Port Arthur borders Groves on three sides (southeast, southwest, and northeast), while Port Neches lies to the northwest. Three State Highways – 73, 87, and 347 – pass through or near the city.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.2 square miles (13 km2), of which 5.2 square miles (13 km2) is land and 0.19% is water.
In 1886, sam courville moved his family from a Sabine Lake settlement in Port Arthur to a new home on 640 acres (2.6 km2) of land. It would be in that same general area around 1911 that John Warne Gates purchased additional tracts of land. The land was conveyed to the Griffing brothers of Port Arthur in 1916 and three years later, Griffing Brothers Nursery employee Wiley Choate supervised the planting of several thousand pecan trees on a 385-acre (1.56 km2) tract. In 1921, the Port Arthur Land Development Company took control of the site and divided the land into a residential subdivision known as Pecan Grove. The name was later shortened to "Groves," after development representative and pioneer Port Arthurian Asa Groves.
A post office was established in 1927 and a school opened in 1929. A public library opened the following year. The community rapidly developed as a stop on the Kansas City Southern Railway. The Atlantic Refinery began operating in 1936. In 1940, a public water system was installed in the community. Several civic organizations, including the Lions Club, Chamber of Commerce, and Volunteer Fire Department were formed during the 1940s. By the early 1950s, Groves had an estimated population of 1,300. In 1952, residents of the community voted 1,079-262 in favor of incorporating Groves as a city. Rapid population growth followed, surpassing 17,000 in the 1960 census and reaching 18,067 by 1970. During the remainder of the twentieth century, the number of residents slowly declined. In 2000, Groves was the fourth-largest city in Jefferson County, after Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Nederland.
© 2001-2018 Reliance Network and RE/MAX of Texas.
All rights reserved. US Reg. Copyright TX-5-910-991, TX-5-910-992, TX-5-910-993, and TX-5-910-994.
Each RE/MAX® Office is Independently Owned and Operated. Equal Housing Opportunity. Texas Real Estate Commission Consumer Protection Notice Texas Real Estate Commission Form.